Thursday, March 20, 2008

Broccoli & Cheese soup

I was hungry for some good home made broccoli soup so I made some up the other day. I've never made it before, only had it many times as family. So I called up my MIL and got the recipe. Here it is, it was delicious.

I used my 8 qt pot for it.

aprox 1/2 lb of bacon, cut and crisped in the pot
6-8 peeled and cubed potatoes (not to small, but not to big)
Add broth and/or water to cover that pot. ( I added a 49 oz can of chicken broth I had)
1 chopped onion

Boil until the potatoes are almost done.

Add 1 bunch of broccoli, washed and cut (or a 16oz bad of frozen)

Simmer until the broccoli and potatoes are cooked.

Add 1 lb of cubed Velveeta cheese (and/or any other small nubbins of cheese you have left over in the fridge.)

cook until the cheese is melted, you can put this in the oven on 350 for an hour or so if you don't want to worry about it burning.

After the cheese is melted, add some cream of mushroom soup to thicken it. If you prefer you can use cornstarch and water, or flour. You can also use instant potatoes.

Simmer or put it back in the oven until it's all nice and creamy and enjoy!

Oh I almost forgot to add that this is a great way to get rid of some extra ham from Easter dinner too. Just cube it and add it with the potatoes. I've even heard of some ppl using leftover turkey. It's a very versatile soup.

No comments: