Friday, October 17, 2008

YUMMY Brownies

Have you ever got a recipe started and realized you were missing an important ingredient? Ugh I seem to be doing that alot lately. You see most of my baking and cooking ingredients are still 12 hrs away at the camper, so I don't have them at the house. I know I have some, but there not HERE! LOL. Well I did it again.

Last weekend I was making some cheesecake and realized I didn't have any brown sugar for the crust. I ALLWAYS have brown sugar, no mind you I'd already went to the store TWICE to get missing ingredients. I alwasy have to buy Cream cheese, cherry topping and sweetened condensed milk for it, but I usually have Lemon Juice, so back to the store I went. I than realized I didn't have brown sugar, so I borrowed some for our neighbor.

Well yesterday I was making some bisquits and realized I didn't have any salt, soda or baking powder. I ran down to our dollar store here in town and grabbed some salt and soda. We got back home, the kids went back out to play in the dirt pile and I went inside and got back to business and.... sigh realized I need powder NOT soda, so yup I loaded everyone back up and headed down there again. Thankfully the store is only a 1 mile round trip. Hardly worth the gas, I know. So I finally got some bisquits.

So today, i decide I really need, err want some brownies to go with ice cream. I got the butter in the pan and you guessed it, i didn't have enough cocoa. I tell ya, i wasn't going to the store, it was late. Sooo I dug some chocolate chips out of the freezer. I had about 3/4 of the cocoa I needed, so I added chips to replace it. About double what I needed in cocoa. Well since they were semi-sweet I cut back on the sugar as well. I only used about 3/4 the sugar I needed. I figure, how bad can it be, it's chocolate. It will be fine. It did turn out good. Not as yummy as the true recipe, but still good. To me, I think it tasted like the boxed brownie mix you buy. So if you want some really gooooooodddd brownies, here is a good recipe to try.


Fudgie Brownies from Jennifer Dugan’s kitchen
½ c. marg
½ c. cocoa
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
½ c. flour
¼ t. salt
½ c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 and grease 8x8x2 pan.
In a saucepan melt the marg. Removed from heat and add cocoa, stir until well blended. Add sugar & mix well. Add eggs, slowly one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla, flour and salt. DO NOT OVERBEAT. Fold in the nuts.

Bake 325 for 25-30 min, till knife comes out clean. Doubles well into a 9x13 pan.

Alternate options: use peanut butter or vanilla chips when you add the nuts. These are really fudge brownies and super good!

Enjoy!

No comments: