Saturday, January 19, 2013

Whole grain Jam Squares aka Granola bars

It's amazing how many names a recipe can have.  I have this recipe in my cookbook as "Wholegrain Jam Squares"  but I have seen it in other places as granola bars.  So which ever you call it, here is a family favorite and best of all, it's very versatile!

2c. Oatmeal
1 3/4 c Flour
1 c marg
1 c. Br Sugar
1 t cinn
3/4 t salt
1/2 t soda
1/2 c. nuts (opt)

3/4 c. jam, jelly or other filling (see bottom for more filling ideas)

combine all the dry ingredients and mix.  Add the butter and mix until crumbly.  Press the mixture into the bottom of a 8x13 pan, reserving 2 cups of the mix.  Spread the filling over the mixture evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining mix over the top, spread a press loosely.
Bake at 400 for 25-30 min.

Filling ideas

Jam is an easy filling.  Just loosen it in the jar (mix it up a bit to break it up) and spread it out..

Add 1/4t nutmeg, 1/8t cloves to the mix and use 1c. applesauce and 3/4 c raisins as filling.

Any fruit can be made into a filling.  I have made frozen apples into an apple sauce and spread it.  Just put it into a sauce pan, add some water, cook them down, sugar to taste and that's pretty much it.  I found a really good filling for Plums online

Plum filling:  2c chopped dried plums, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1 1/3 c water, 1 c chopped walnuts, 1 T lemon juice.  Boil and simmer till thick.  I didn't use all of this mix in one batch.  I used about 2/3 of it, than made another pan full and mixed it with my apple filling.  BUT you could use it all at once, and have a thicker filling.  My kids LOVE this mixture, they actually asked me to make more..

So tell me what you try and how you liked it!  The fun of baking is making it how you like it..

ENJOY!

No comments: