Monday, November 10, 2008

Brr it's cold outside!!

Well we are back home safe and sound. The camper is mostly unpacked, only some cleaning left to do in it. It has been winterized already too. It's been cold up here, so that was a must as soon as we got home. So now we are on to other things here.

As some of you know, we have been putting in Geo-Thermal heating in our house. Mark has work several of his weekends at home to put in the loops and now, this week we will be getting the duct work all done. We can't wait. I will be sure to let you all know the gas cost difference, can't wait for that. In case your wondering, it only uses a little electric to run the pump. It is a closed loop, so it's not running water thought it, just a anti-freeze type solution. I've got lots of picture of the progress. We are very excited to be able to say, we are LIVING GREEN! Well as soon as it's all up and running, we are almost there!!!

Another thing we've been doing is getting ready for this cold weather, BRRR. I think I'll go back down south for a while, it's only 35 out right now up here. We had SNOW yesterday. I know, it's November and it's normal, but man I don't miss it when it's here. As I like to say, "I prefer the warm side of the window". The kids are very excited however, they are already looking forward to building some snowmen.

So here are a few recipe tips for the cold weather.

I like to make my own hot chocolate. It's cheaper and well, it's cheaper lol. But if you've ever used home made mix, it just doesn't seem to dissolve well. I figured out a way last year, after you mix it all together (the recipe I use is below), put it in your food processor, it will pulverize it to a powder, just like in the store. It will dissolve much easier. You can do all kinds of creative things with it too. We like to add peppermint sticks to it, and of course marshmallows. But do you like peanut butter cups?? Well add some peanut butter chips to it, mmmm, or the mint ones they come out with for the holidays. Vanilla if you want vanilla-chocolate, chocolate kisses for super chocolate, the possibilities are endless really.

Or here's a cool thing we did last year, we made "snowman soup" The kids loved it and it was easy. We passed them out to some family. Here's the basic Idea

A cup, (kids love to decorate Styrofoam, or get a glass one from the second hand stores)
In a baggie put one serving of powder, some mini-marshmallows and what ever else you want.
close the bag with a ribbon and place in the cup
Add one candy cane to the cup

Attach a poem and directions, here are some examples I found last year and saved.


Was told you've been real good this year
Always glad to hear it
With freezing weather drawing near
You'll need to warm the spirit
So here's a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick
Add hot water, sip it slow
It's sure to do the trick!


When the weather outside is frightful,
Snowman Soup can be delightful.
May it warm your spirit and your soul.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

When you feel a chill or 'burrrrrr',
Use the peppermint stick to stir.
Add hot water and sip it slow.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.


When it's so cold that
you holler and whoop,
It's time to bring out
the Snowman Soup!

Pour the packet in a mug.
Add marshmallows too.
And throw in these kisses
that are special just for you.

Now add some hot water
and use the cane to stir it.
Sip slowly and soon you'll
feel the warm winter spirit!

And lastly my recipe. I got it off of my powder milk bag I think. I've seen it several place and different combinations, play with it to get it just right. There are tons of them online if you do a search as well.


1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup dry milk powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, powdered creamer, milk powder and cocoa powder. Mix well, and store in an airtight container.
To serve, put 2 to 3 tablespoons of powder in a mug, fill with hot water, and enjoy!

Here's one I think I'll try this year. They have really added alot of new ideas to them. Pudding, who-da thought.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Cocoa-Mix-in-a-Jar/Detail.aspx

1 comment:

Amanda Kaake said...

Lovely, lovely post! I can't wait to see pix of the geo thermal heating. We'd love to be totally green someday but that's a long way down the line. Let me know how cost effective it is for you. I'd love to hear about it. Great tip on the hot cocoa too! Have a blessed day:)