Monday, November 24, 2008

Cornbread stuffing casserole

Since we've been sick around here, I'm looking for quick and easy recipes. Well starring into my cupboards I seen I had a box of stuffing mix, cornbread, Meijer brand stuffing mix. On the side was a recipe for "mexican cornbread casserole" It looked pretty good, but I'm not much for spicy and I don't have nacho cheese soup on hand, so I changed it to fit what I did have. This is what I came up with and it turned out pretty good. I can see how this would work with leftover turkey or chicken really easy too.l

1 lb, cooked ground beef (or sausage or both)
1 can (10 oz-ish) cream of mush soup
1 c. sour cream
8 - 16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. water
1 6oz box of stuffing mix.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish
Place browned ground beef in bottom.
In bowl mix soup, sour cream, water and about 1 c. of cheese.
Sprinkle all but 1/2 c of stuffing mix evenly over ground beef.
Pour soup mixture over stuffing.
Sprinkle remaining stuffing over soup.
Top with remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered for 30-40 mins. Till all is hot and bubbly.

You can very easily mix it up with different cheese, different stuffing flavor and even different soups. If you make your own stuffing I don't see why it wouldn't work with that either. Even use leftover and don't use as much water. Everything is already cooked, so it's only warming it up and melting the cheese.

The original recipe used nacho cheese soup and added a can of green chilies.

No comments: