Saturday, December 6, 2008

cold days!

Well you know me, i can't follow a recipe for nothing. Not because I can't read, or understand what it says, but rather, well because I merely use it for a suggestion LOL.



So I made some hot cocoa mix. You see, we ran out of the store kind and with it being very snowy and all, we need some around here. Nothing else is better than hot cocoa to warm up the kids after they play outside. Nothing goes as well with some home made banana bread (tea comes in a close second). So I had to do something.



I stopped at Sav-A-Lot today while I was out. I didn't really want to venture all the way to Walmart with the snow coming down like it is. So I grabbed some chocolate milk powder, nesquik off brand kinda thing. It says to use milk, since there is none in the mix, it's only a mixture of cocoa, sugar, but no milk. Well I used this recipe as a guide and improvised the rest since I didn't have ALL of the right ingredients.




6 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 (5 ounce) package non-instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup powdered chocolate drink mix
1/2 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder



I'm sure this recipe is a great recipe, but what if you only have 3 c. of powdered milk?? what if you don't have chocolate pudding mix???



YOU IMPROVISE LOL!!!



Here's what I ended up doing



3 c. powdered milk

1 3.4 oz box of Vanilla instant pudding mix

1 c. powdered chocolate drink mix

1/4 c. creamer

1/4 c reg. sugar

1 c. cocoa (to make up for the vanilla pudding)





I put it in the blender and mix it up really good. Than we tried it and oh my was it good. Add some marshmallows and Peanut butter chips to it, or mint, or chocolate, YUM!! We all have our favorites. I have a container that holds all our our hot cocoa mix stuff. I found some Andres' mint chips for baking which works really well too.



So that's our solution to warm up.


Another result of the storm is the SNOW!! AHH I'm not to fond of snow myself. My kids love it, but I just don't like being cold, really. Our tree in the back fell down some more too. It missed the camper and shed, which is good. It is mostly rotten anyhow. We're planning on cutting it down eventually, this way it's coming down in pieces, at this rate we won't have to cut it LOL. We lost part of it last year as well. The roads here are pretty slick, there's been several accidents. 2 being in our family, not a good deal. Thankfully one of them just totaled the truck, the driver was fine. The other not so good.

Our prayers are with you Rob. He's in the hospital in Maryland. He will end up fine, but has alot of recovery to do. You just never know when it can happen.

So here we sit staying warm, hoping we don't get snowed in tomorrow. We'd like to go to church, but it all depends on the roads.

I better get this laundry folded, before it overtakes my backroom.

No comments: