Monday, December 7, 2009

Peanut Butter Cake


I can't believe I've never posted this recipe. For all you peanut butter lovers, I'm sorry, you really don't know what you've been missing. This is hands down the BEST cake you will ever taste. It's moist, rich and so very versatile. I LOVE peanut butter, as a matter of fact, my nickname growing up was peanut butter lol. This recipe has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Matter of fact it was the cake my MIL made for my baby shower lol, and we also used it at our 10 anniversary party too, and various birthdays thru the years. YUM!! My only warning is, it's big, so make it when you can share it, because you WILL want to keep eating it lol..

The PB cake we decorated for our 10 ann. party. They said to decorate it to reflect us, so we chose a pond setting, with our little turtle kids heading to it, and one still hatching (I was pg with Abigail).. It was a great celebration with my inlaws celebrating their 30th and grandparents their 50th..

Peanut Butter Cake

You will need a jelly roll pan, or a sheet pan with sides 17" X 12" ish and at least 1" deep. If you want to half the recipe, it would probably work in a 9x13, but I've never made it that way.

in a sauce pan heat
1C. water
4 T (heaping) Peanut Butter
1 1/2 t salt
1 c marg.

once melted slowly incorporate
2 eggs
1/2 c sour milk
1 t vanilla

being careful not to cook your eggs in the mix (you can let it cool slightly first, or just blend your eggs and warm it up slowly by adding some of the warm mixture to the eggs, than mixing it all together)

mix in

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. soda

Bake in 375 oven for 20 min. Do not over bake it. It will be soft and spongy..

While it's baking, make the frosting using the previous saucepan

melt together

1/2 c marg
1/3 c milk
4 T peanut butter (heaping)
1 t. vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar

Pour over the cake while they are BOTH still hot. TIP: use a spatula to loosen the cake from the edges of the pan first, so the frosting goes down the sides rather than outside the pan. It will be runny.

than let it cool as long as you can stand to wait and try some!!!

I know the recipe sounds complicated, but really it isn't. The basic idea is to melt the PB and marg so it mixes in better. Besides once you try it once, you find it VERY worth it..

Enjoy!!

Oh I want to add, this cake freezes well too. Just cool it completely, than either freeze it in the pan for a day, than removed and wrap well, or take out in pieces and freeze. Be sure to frost it first..

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you!Thank you!Thank you! I look forward to making this. (along with many of your other recipes!)

Linda said...

Wonderful! I look forward to making some of these for the craft show. Will let you know how it turns out.

Jen said...

Your very welcome Linda, let me know how it goes. I added a picture to it and a note about freezing it. My MIL has froze it and we couldn't even tell the difference.

Le-Teisha said...

Thank you so much. I used to have this cake everyday in the lunch cafeteria and never could find the recipe. This sounds perfect.