Monday, January 5, 2015

Turkey Meatballs and Mushroom gravy

Turkey Meatballs and Mushroom gravy

In our quest to be healthier without raising our food bill we have cut out most of the red meats in our diet.  I rarely buy beef and when I do its for burgers or to mix with Turkey burger.  Here is one way we use Turkey instead of beef and it still taste delicious!!

I made a quick and easy meatball mix, which is also Gluten free!

2#'s of ground meat (turkey, sausage, beef, venison... Mix up what you have, use spicy sausage if you like it hot.  We like part turkey, part sausage)

1 onion chopped
garlic (fresh, dried or powder works)
Salt and pepper
Chopped celery

Mix together.  Note: season it to your taste preference.  We like a lot of garlic but not much pepper... Sausage adds alot of flavor so if you like spicy, use some spicy ground sausage in it.  

Get the pan hot with some grease in it.  I prefer to use bacon grease but oil, butter or even lard works.  Once its melted put the meatballs in by scoopfulls.  I use an ice cream scoop so they are uniform and less mess.  
Let them brown a bit and roll around so all the sides get browned.  I added some bacon to the pan since it was getting dry. 
Once the pan is full and all the sides were browned, put a cover on and put the pan in a 350 oven to bake.  Bake until they are cooked through, about an hour?  They were ready by the time I was done with the rest.

Get some potatoes boiling and your gravy of choice.  I made a mushroom gravy to go on top (chicken stock, fresh mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery and Italian seasoning.. Thickened with GF flour).  We served it all in a bowl, I may have licked the bowl clean.

2#'s of ground meat filled my family of 6 and even left a few for me to eat the next day. 

If your gravy is thin, make your potaoes thicker and vice versa!

Of course you can also serve this with your vegetable of choice.

~~ other things we tried ~~

I made this last night with 1 roll of Italian seasoned turkey burger and 1 roll of plain turkey.  I only added some garlic powder to the mix and it was also very good!  You can use what ever meats you have on hand and keep it interesting.  

We served it in a bowl on top of noodles and a thin broth gravy.  I had a rice and quinoa mix instead of noodles.  Yum!!

No comments: