Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Homemade Chicken noodle soup

Being 9 months pregnant and all, I'm all about quick and easy these days. So when it comes to dinner I'm looking for a crock pot dinner, something filling but I don't have to stand over. Since it's barely got about 20 degrees today, I thought soup sounded really good, so here's what I threw together. I should add that soups are not my strength, they usually come out kinda bland. I think I figured out why. I always use broth, or buillion and seasonings, BUT a little tip I recently found out makes a HUGE difference when your cooking. A show called "Good Eats" aired a segment on spices and seasonings and pointed out that if you really want to get a good mixture of spices, use them separate and mix them yourself. Meaning, don't use seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and other blends BECAUSE (and you can look on the back and see), the first ingredient in all of these is SALT! So that means that most of the "blend" is salt. I was adding a ton of salt but very little of much else. So unless you get "Mrs. Dash salt free" look on the back of the bottles of any "blends" you use. Be sure to not salt extra.

Anyhow, so here's how I made my soup.


4 skinless, boneless chicken breast (I use these frozen, the pre-packaged kind)

1 can of chicken broth (buillion has lots of salt too)

3 cans of water

about 1/2 c. baby carrots

1 1/2 onion, sliced

1 celery stalk, chopped


I didn't measure, but added probably about 1-2 t of each of the following spices

Garlic Powder

Rubbed Sage

Basil Flakes

Parsley Flakes

Mrs. Dash Salt-free Garlic & Herb blend

Old Bay Seasoning (this contains salt as well)


I then let all of this simmer in the crock pot for the day.

After the chicken was good and cooked, I pulled it apart into chunks with a fork.


When we were almost ready to eat I added noodles and mixed vegis. I used a frozen blend of bowtie pasta and mixed vegis, but regular egg noodles would work.


I simmered this some more till they were all cooked than we ate. The kids loved it and so did I. It was super good!

No comments: